Do you have a child or teen with anxiety, depression or self-harm behaviors? I’m here to help!
I’m Katie K. May and I’m a Nationally Certified, Licensed Professional Counselor.
A little about my experience…
- I have a Master of Science Degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from Villanova University.
- My work within a child and adolescent psychiatric hospital provided me with extensive experience working with children on a variety of issues, including depression, anxiety, trauma, loss, suicidal thoughts, self-harm behaviors, low self-esteem and family conflict.
- I have training as a Yoga Calm Youth Instructor and often use yoga and mindfulness techniques in session to help anxious and traumatized children decrease anxiety and manage intense feelings
- I attend a weekly Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) consult group with other therapists to hone my skills in working with teens with suicidal thoughts and self-harm behaviors.
- I have education and supervision in Play Therapy and Expressive Arts with specific training in how to use play and creativity in therapy to best support your child.
And about me…
- I love art, writing and music.
- I enjoy Marvel superhero movies and British Sci-Fi.
- I’m at my best when I regularly do yoga and water sports.
- When I’m not working, I’m spending time with my family and my Boston Terrier, Penny.
Facilitating therapy groups and connecting teens is my biggest passion!
Here’s a list of my current offerings:
Teen Group Therapy Circle
This weekly therapy group is for high school teens who experience depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, social rejection or isolation, family conflict and/or school problems. Because groups help teens relate to each other and to feel better understood, Teen Group Therapy Circle has been successful in helping teens learn to identify and express their emotions, to access a healthy network of support, to gain self-acceptance and to improve their mood. Groups are an ideal form of treatment when individual therapy is not enough, or not the right level of support.
Teen Girls Therapy Group
This weekly therapy group is for teen girls who are experiencing anxiety, depression or low self-esteem. This group is specifically designed to help teen girls process concerns related to relationships, body image, self-esteem and overwhelming emotions in a safe place with other like-minded teens. A message of empowerment helps members take ownership of difficult thoughts and feelings and begin to feel more confident and able to create positive changes in their lives.
Teen DBT Group
This weekly skills training group for is for teens who Engage in self-harm or self-destructive behaviors, Have conflict at home or school, Make impulsive decisions, Have difficulty managing intense moods. Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) is a skills-based approach that has been proven to help teens Abstain from cutting and self-destructive behaviors, Master appropriate communication skills and improve relationships and Develop effective coping skills to manage intense emotions.
For more information on my programs and offerings, please visit my website at www.creativehealingphilly.com.